Orange and almond cookies with dark choc bits
These cookies are the perfect mid morning snack or when you need that ‘pick me up’snack in the afternoon! One of my favourite combinations is chocolate and orange so it was only natural for me to come up with something that delicately combines the two, without being too heavy on each flavour.
There is many different variations you can make to this recipe. Instead of choc chips, you can put in frozen blueberries, or why not both? Instead of the vegan butter, you can use a nut butter. I wouldn’t recommend a direct swap with coconut oil though as this will make the cookie flatten. However, you may want this to happen. But if you do, then use coconut oil J
The beauty about vegan baking, is that the process of combining all the ingredients is very simple. All you need to do is combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, then bake. Simple! No need for beating ingredients slowly, then adding in other ingredient bit by bit. Vegan baking is a beginners dream!
This recipe make about 20 cookies. You don’t need to bake them all at once, you can store in a zip lock bag in the freezer for 2 months. Just thaw out before baking.
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
3 tablespoon water
110 grams vegan butter
¾ cup coconut sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup wholemeal plain flour
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup chopped almonds
Zest of 1 orange
½ cup dark vegan chocolate
½ teaspoon bi carb soda
Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Combine the flaxseed with water and leave to soak for 5 mins
- Place all the ingredients together in a bowl and combine with one of the following options:
- In a stand mixer, fit the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until all ingredients come together
- In a thermomix, place all ingredients in the bowl, switch blade to reverse and speed to 3-4. Mix for 10 seconds or until all ingredients are combined and stick together.
- In a big bowl, massage all the ingredients together with your hands until it is all combined
- Roll the cookies into balls and place 4 cm apart. Press down on tops to flatten slightly
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly on tray, then move to cooling rack to completely cool
- Cookies will keep for up to 1 week in an air tight container. Store in cool dry area.