Spiced Orange, Almond & Pistachio Cake
By Henrietta & Virginia
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 1 cup plant milk (we use almond or soy)
- 160 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 gm raw sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut yogurt
- grated zest of 2 organic oranges
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 200 gm almonds, roughly ground
- 100 gm shelled pistachios, roughly ground
- 200 gm wholemeal self raising flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- Line a 20 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Stir chia seeds into plant milk and set aside.
- Beat oil, sugar & orange zest in a stand mixer.
- Add vanilla, orange blossom water, cardamom & yogurt and beat until well combined.
- In another bowl, stir together the flours, ground nuts & baking powder.
- Tip half the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and stir gently with a wooden spoon or spatula to incorporate. Add half the plant milk/chia mix, stir, then the rest of the flour mixture & finally the plant milk mix, stirring gently with each addition.
- Pour mixture into baking tin and bake for approx 50 minutes – or until an inverted skewer comes out clean.
9. Invert onto a cooling tray and allow to cool.
- When cold, and ready to serve, sift dusted icing sugar over cake to create a gentle powdered snow. (We sometimes ice it with a vegan cream cheese icing, but the cake is moist without it.)